Plan to protect Barrier Reef announced
The plan includes:
- measures to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 40% by 2020
- extending the requirements for satellite tracking of vessels on board vessels for all ships transporting coal and gas throughout the reef
- extending compulsory pilotage across the entire reef for large transport ships through the relevant international forums
- banning the use of the pesticides, particularly diuron, atrazine and ametryn, which are found in high concentrations in run-off from the land.
For more information see:
- the Great Barrier Reef policy initiative (pdf).
- the media release, Greens only party with credible climate action plan to save Barrier Reef.
You can read about the Greens' plan to protect the entire Coral Sea from oil and gas extraction, unsustainable fishing and pollution in the Brisbane Times article, Greens launch Coral Sea protection plan.