Legislation of Termination of Pregnancy
The Queensland Greens believe that:
1. The principle of women’s right to informed choice free of coercion should be the basis of all policy and services regarding women’s reproduction.
2. Women have a right to choose whether to carry a pregnancy to term or to or to have a safe surgical or pharmaceutical termination free from the threat of criminal sanctions.
3. Women can be trusted to make their own reproductive decisions.
The Queensland Greens want:
1. To ensure that abortion is available to all women regardless of income by free service provision through already existing government health facilities.
2. To ensure that confidential, objective, secular, voluntary, publicly-funded information and counselling on making fertility choices, including surgical and medical termination of pregnancy, is available in all regions in Queensland.
The Queensland Greens will:
1. Repeal all provisions of the Queensland Criminal Code and any other existing Queensland legislation with respect to abortion.
2. Ensure that abortions are available to all people, regardless of their economic status, through the public health system.
3. Ensure that the prescribable drug, RU486 is available through all Queensland government pharmacies.
4. Ensure the convenient availability throughout the state of publicly funded confidential, voluntary counselling services that offer women and their partners objective and accurate advice on fertility choices including pregnancy termination.
Note: The above provisions were adopted as Queensland Greens policy during September 2011, pending the development of a broader Queensland Greens policy on reproductive health.